Excuse our dust...
The Jarrett Prairie Center Museum is closed for renovation.
The lobby area, lower level banquet room, and
administrative offices are open and available.
Grand opening dates will be scheduled in the next few months.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
Mark Your Calendars!!
Halloween on the Prairie - October 23rd - Noon-4pm
25th Annual Holiday Gift Sale - November 5th - 9am-4pm
Something Especially For You
- The Jarrett Prairie Center's Natural History Museum is currently under renovation. The new museum is expected to become one of the region's biggest assets with a nearly $1M renovation investment. The more than 4,000 square-foot expansion will include an immersive theater experience, hands-on exhibits, a prairie overlook area, a plow exhibit that will allow guests to design their own farm, and a 2,600 square-foot wraparound deck that will allow visitors to enjoy a view of the prairie and beyond from one of the highest points in Ogle County! The new museum and deck will be available for private rentals for families, corporations, and organizations. During renovations, the lobby area, lower level banquet room, and administrative offices will still be open and available. We are planning a tentative grand opening of the newly renovated museum in September. Please visit our Facebook page to watch our progress, www.facebook.com/byron.preserve.
- The Weiskopf Observatory is a wonderful asset to the Byron Forest Preserve. With its 11" Celestron telescope, you may see some of the faintest objects in the sky. Free, weekly public skyviewing.
- Heritage Farm Museum was a working farm in 1843. The replica house is now a museum with wonderful exhibits that show how people lived. The restored farm buildings and antique equipment illustrate what early country life was all about.
- PrairieView Golf Club is located on German Church Road in Byron, Illinois. This public 18-hole championship golf course is rated four stars by Golf Digest. This course has bent grass tees, greens, and fairways. PrairieView also offers a full service practice facility, equipment rental, fully stocked pro shop, lessons, electric carts with GPS, and handicap services. The Prairie Grass Pub at the clubhouse is open to enhance your golfing experience with great food and entertainment. Or just come to enjoy the food and the view! Entertainment is scheduled throughout the golfing season. Visit prairieviewgolf.com for more information.
- The Keller Education Center a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified platinum building. It is one of only three platinum certified education buildings in the State of Illinois. The building houses our preschool program where children learn kindergarten readiness skills along with outdoor education and recycling.
- The Nardi Equine Prairie Preserve which is being restored into prairie includes a trail system for horseback riding.
The Byron Forest Preserve District has something especially for you. So, we hope to see you soon!
Check out our new hike app. Go to your phone's app store and search for Prairie State Hike App. Find Nature Conservancy/Byron Forest Preserve, pay .99, and enjoy!