Jarrett Prairie Center is open!
PrairieFire Golf & Grill is open!
Reserve a bay for your amazing golf experience today!
Go to www.prairiefiregolf.com!
PrairieView Golf Club is open!
Call or go online for tee times at
All of the District's preserves are open for
walking, hiking, running, and exploring.
Check out our video series on our Facebook page.
Something Especially For You
- The Jarrett Prairie Center. Renovated in 2016, the new museum includes the Byron Bank Immersive Theater, hands-on exhibits, a prairie overlook area, a plow exhibit that allows guests to design their own farm, and so much more! The 2,600 square-foot wraparound deck allows visitors to enjoy a view of the prairie and beyond from one of the highest points in Ogle County! The new museum and deck are available for private rentals for families, corporations, and organizations. The Administrative and Education offices are also housed in this facility. Please visit our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/byron.preserve.
- The Weiskopf Observatory is a wonderful asset to the Byron Forest Preserve. With its 11" Celestron telescope, you may see some of the faintest objects in the sky. Free, weekly public skyviewing.
- Heritage Farm Museum was a working farm in 1843. The replica house is now a museum with wonderful exhibits that show how people lived. The restored farm buildings and antique equipment illustrate what early country life was all about.
- PrairieView Golf Club is located on German Church Road in Byron, Illinois. This public 18-hole championship golf course is rated four stars by Golf Digest. This course has bent grass tees, greens, and fairways. PrairieView also offers a full service practice facility, equipment rental, fully stocked pro shop, lessons, electric carts with GPS, and handicap services. The Prairie Grass Pub at the clubhouse is open to enhance your golfing experience with great food and entertainment. Or just come to enjoy the food and the view! Entertainment is scheduled throughout the golfing season. Visit prairieviewgolf.com for more information.
- The Keller Education Center a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified platinum building. It is one of only three platinum certified education buildings in the State of Illinois. The building houses our preschool program where children learn kindergarten readiness skills along with outdoor education and recycling.
- Nine prairie preserves which are being managed and restored. Many of them include trail systems for walking, jogging, hiking, and exploring. The Nardi Equine Preserve also includes a trail system for horseback riding. The Ripplinger-Gouker Preserve and Etnyre Preserve include trail systems for leashed dog walking. The He-Leo Two Rivers Preserve has a kayak/canoe launch and boat dock. No motorized boat launch. The Bald Hill Preserve is home to the State of Illinois' Biggest Tree!
The Byron Forest Preserve District has something especially for you. So, we hope to see you soon!
Check out our new hike app. Go to your phone's app store and search for Prairie State Hike App. Find Nature Conservancy/Byron Forest Preserve, pay .99, and enjoy!